Group Sessions: Reframing COVID to Create Mental Resilience
8 week virtual class via Zoom
Dates: Feb 16 at Tuesday at 4pm or Wed. Feb 17 at 8pm. (8 classes total starting on the dates listed above – 2 time slots to select from )
Taught by: Erika Osherow – Erika played softball at Darien High School from 2011-2015, where she was a pitcher and shortstop, earning varsity letters all 4 years, 2x team MVP, Captain, All FCIAC and All State Honors. She went on to pitch, hit, and play outfield at the University of Virginia. She earned ACC Pitcher of the Week in 2017, 4x ACC Honor Roll, was a 2X ACC All Academic Team, 5x Dean’s List, and a 3x recipient of the Lisa-Frances Palmer Endowed Scholarship. Upon graduation with her BS in Kinesiology and Psychology with Honors, she received the ACC Postgraduate Scholarship and Life Skills Award Scholarship. She pursued her MEd at the University of Virginia in Exercise Physiology as well and earned the Curry School of Education David F. Cook Award for Graduate Excellence. She is certified as a Strength & Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) as well.
Price: $59 Members / $79 Non-members
This course will meet 1x a week as a virtual (1 hour) Zoom meeting ( class will be offer at 2 different weekly times) . Athletes are required to attend one training each week with the second one available for schedule conflict.
- Understand how to elevate your game by connecting both the mind and body
- COVID has created a lot of challenges both mentally in the unknown of seasons, social gatherings, engagement in society, schooling, and especially sports
- Overall PRIORITIZATION of well-being
- Create an open space for Elite Softball Players to connect once a week to talk about softball and share success and struggles
- Approaching the mind can be daunting…let’s create a simplified space to apply and talk about mental skills to cope, approach, and conquer life on and off the field
- Athletes will have the opportunity to purchase and sign up for an extension of the program that meets individually with a coach to go over mental and physical self-assessments, personal goal setting, and create a specific action plan heading into the 2021 season.
This course will provide the athlete with an understanding of sport training mental techniques that can be used and understood in the context of softball performance. The group format will elicit direct application to serve specific individual and shared experiences. It will be a place to talk through the mental challenges and skills necessary day to day as well as how to handle the stressors of becoming an elite athlete. Topics will include motivation, self talk, breathing, mindfulness, imagery, confidence, and peak performance. The course required reading will be Mind Gym by Gary Mack.
- Learn and apply the basic skills of sports psychology as a softball player
- Create a toolbox of techniques and repertoire of skills to deploy in moments of high emotion
- Generate a framework of how the mind and body can work together to accelerate your growth as an athlete
- Apply the tenets of Mind Gym to your own game and life
- Elicit conversation around the mental side of softball to give you a competitive advantage